New RPi image available for testing

New prerelease image uploaded at: https://downloads.nymea.io/images/rpi3/nymea-18.04.2-pre5-nymea-armhf+raspi-ext4.img.xz

It should have all the things fixed Simon reported here (and some more).

Worked like a charm for me! :slight_smile:

The only thing: In the setup process, the password cannot turned into visible.
This would be very helpful.

Thanks for the feedback. Will add that.

Hi all, and Hi Michael. I just flashed the last version of the image. Works as a charm. Great work, I’m very happy for it.

I was wondering, If I can connect devices built by me, that are using wifi or bluetooth?

Hello Kerekes,

Yes, it sure should be possible to create plugins for self built hardware.

This is probably where you want to start: https://doc.nymea.io/write-plugins.html
Also, for Bluetooth related hardware, this is hopefully a nice tutorial: https://www.hackster.io/michael_zanetti/flowercare-and-nymea-to-rescue-my-plants-3cbffa

Have a look at all the other open source plugins too, which are located at: https://github.com/guh/nymea-plugins

Either the password requirements are ridiculously strict, or there is a bug when doing initial setup. No matter what I enter into the password fields it rejects it and says it’s too simple. Using pre5.

Edit: After a reboot it accepted a password with 17 characters including caps, numbers, and symbols. One that it didn’t accept the first round though, might still be a bug.

I assume you’ve used “nymea:app” as client. The app states the password rules:

The password needs to be at least 8 characters long, contain lowercase, uppercase letters as well as numbers and special characters.

Once you logged in, you can change nymea to not require a login in “nymea:app > System settings > API interfaces”

Hi Yogsothog,

welcome to the forum! Thanks for the feedback. Indeed, the requirements are a bit strict in a sense that they require special chars, upper- and lowercase letters as well as numbers… However, the minimum length is 8.

Looking at the code, one issue I could image might be that a special character you used is not recognized as special character and it still asks you to add another special character. Could that be the case?

This is the code that does the check:

bool UserManager::validatePassword(const QString &password) const
{
    if (password.length() < 8) {
        return false;
    }
    if (!password.contains(QRegExp("[a-z]"))) {
        return false;
    }
    if (!password.contains(QRegExp("[0-9]"))) {
        return false;
    }
    if (!password.contains(QRegExp("[!\"§$%&/()#*\\'+\\.\\\\@€µ~]"))) {
        return false;
    }
    return true;
}

Anything comes when running your password thought this?

I figured it out, rebooted and it accepted a password, I should have tried that before posting. Now I can’t get it to find my Wemo switches and outlets. I have everything on the same network but the Nymea:app on both the Pi and my phone can’t find them.

There has been a bug in the wemo plugin which would prevent it from being discovered if the device has been renamved to something else than “WeMo Switch”.

This bug has been fixed in version 0.12.3 of the nymea-plugins package. Which version do you have?

You can check the installed version in System Settings -> System updates -> Add/remove software.

Try to update. If that doesn’t fix it, I’d probably need logs to find out what’s going on.

I swear this system is trying to make a fool out of me. When I checked the last 5 times there were no updates, now there are 42 including Wemo. I am running the updates now (one by one because of course it fails if I try all at once), hopefully this will fix it. I think my RPi has a very lively and mischievous little machine spirit residing in it.

Hmmm… Odd, it shouldn’t fail doing all at once… It would be helpful to see the logs. You can find that in the debug interface, in system settings -> developer tools, then the download tab and download the system log.

Here is the log.

Ok, so it turned out to be not the best idea to build the RaspberryPi image based on Ubuntu. Upgrading them is virtually impossible, unless you are an expert on apt-get.

For this reason, and also because the Ubuntu kernels for the Raspberry Pi don’t support the RPi4 yet, we switched back to using Raspbian as base for our images.

Sorry for that, the new image is now hosted at http://downloads.nymea.io/images/raspberrypi/latest and should prove more stable in the long run.

Existing installations of the Ubuntu image will continue to work and also receive updates for a while, however, keep in mind that especially updating them is a bit of an issue.

Loaded the last image to rpi 3 B+ and got to the point of logging into nymea using the default login. It then sets at nymea@nymea prompt. It doesn’t show up as linked to my wifi and the nyema app won’t connect to it via wifi or bluetooth. There are several red Failure notices as the system loads.

Hi @pfeifer
I’d need more information here please.
So you have connected the RPi to an ethernet cable and logged in via SSH, is that right?

If the RPi is connected to the same network (ethernet or wifi, doesn’t matter) as the device running nymea:app, it should be able to find it normally. Is that not the case?

Thanks for the reply, Didn’t try ethernet cable as all on the post says to use wifi and I assumed that the build was set up for that to work. Will try ethernet cable. I have to use ethernet sharing from my laptop as my cell phone is my internet source as a hot spot. I hope it will be apparent what I need to do once connected. Thanks again for your reply on an older project. I take it that it has been going well for people due to little need for chatter.

@pfeifer you don’t have to use ethernet… I am just not sure if I understand your question… As you said you logged in and see a default prompt, I am not sure how you did that if it is not connected to either to ethernet or wifi…

In any case, if you want to use WiFi, use nymea:app on your phone and select “Wireless setup” from the main menu there to connect the Raspberry Pi to the WiFi.

If I’m misunderstanding again, perhaps send some screenshots of where you’re stuck and describe your setup a bit more.

@pfeifer alsp maybe this documentation could help you getting started: https://nymea.io/documentation/users/usage/first-steps

My login was into nymea on the RPI with default nymea as user and password. I put the app on a phone which I use as a tablet as my internet source is my main phone tethered out to all wifi devices. Anyway on the RPI, I finally used an os and did a get to install nymea then got the nymea.app down also. Now my “tablet” phone can connect with the RPI. The issue now is I don’t have any of the equipment that is listed to be connectable. I gave up on this program some time ago. Don’t remember why but unless I can connect my equipment I am still without a touch panel control of google assistant controlled equipment. I don’t like google home on my phones as you can pull up only one button at a time and it gets old flipping pages to control things. I’m an AV tech with experience working with pro Crestron and Amx systems and am spoiled with using touch panels. I can do Crestron and have one that does google assistant but all I’ve been able to do with it is use IR to control my TV by calling it a light bulb which is bad when I say google all lights off, so to does the TV. I don’t know how to control over ethernet using the Crestron, one day I may. My problems though, just venting. BTW do you know of another RPI app that works like google home but allows more buttons on a page? Thanks