Libnymea-networkmanager failed to install. WiFi now broken

Tried installing nymea manually on my Raspberry Pi Zero W. Install threw a couple errors, which made me worried but I proceeded with the installation.

Now my Pi is essentially bricked since it can’t connect to WiFi. iwconfig lists “ESSID:off/any”

This is what the terminal said upon attempting to install nwmea-networkmanager:

pi@raspberrypi:~ $ sudo apt-get install nymea-networkmanager dirmngr
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree       
Reading state information... Done
dirmngr is already the newest version (2.2.12-1+rpi1+deb10u1).
Some packages could not be installed. This may mean that you have
requested an impossible situation or if you are using the unstable
distribution that some required packages have not yet been created
or been moved out of Incoming.
The following information may help to resolve the situation:

The following packages have unmet dependencies:
 nymea-networkmanager : Depends: libnymea-networkmanager but it is not going to be installed
                        Depends: libnymea-gpio but it is not going to be installed
E: Unable to correct problems, you have held broken packages.

I then ran “sudo systemctl disable dhcpcd” and “sudo reboot”

Upon restart, my WiFi is busted. Anyone have any advice?

What system is on your raspberry Pi? Raspbian 10?

Raspbian GNU/Linux 11 (bullseye)

I’ve been reading reports that using an M1 Mac to flash SD cards is actually a potential problem. Looking into that.

In the meantime, did a fresh install of everything, and got farther. However during the nymea install, there was a network issue and, once again, the connection was broken (I do NOT have a wired connection, I can only SSH into a Raspberry Pi Zero W).

Once again, the WiFi breaks. I really would like to understand the nuances to this setup better. What other settings do I need to ensure before attempting to install this myself? Do I need to do additional bluetooth setup? Do I need to NOT enable WiFi first? So confused.

When installing nymea-networkmanager it will automatically install NetworkManager which would take over the entire networking management. Any previous configurations done with a different tool would be removed, yes. I understand this may be tricky to do on a Zero W if you don’t have any wired network available to recover. Perhaps try to get it set up on a Raspberry Pi model with wired network first to figure out the details, or use a serial port connection to the Pi Zero W to get a terminal while it’s not connected to WiFi.
Another approach would be to use the BerryLan image right away which would have this set up properly already.