Connect nymea:app to nymea:core from internet

Hi,
I opened port 2222 on my router/box and use the manual connection on nymea:app to enter my external IP address, but nymea:app does not connect to nymea:core. Locally it works very well.
Did I forget to do something?
Thanks

Hi @mfoucrier

please make sure that your nymea instance is actually listening on port 2222 (system settings → API interfaces) and that you’ve chosen the correct protocol (websocket or plain tcp socket) in the manual settings. It should connect just fine.

I think atm the app doesn’t store the external IP address for this host so you’d have to manually enter the connection every time which is not really usable in practice, it’s on my todo to fix that. Will see if I can get this done soonish.

That said, unless you refuse to use any 3rd party cloud, there’s also the option to use nymea:cloud for this. Enable the cloud connection for your nymea instance in the system settings, and create an account for the app in the app settings. Then you should be able to connect remotely without having to open any ports in your router at all.

Thank you for your quick response.
Yes, nymea instance is actually listening on port 2222 and I set TCP protocol. I am trying to connect with nymea:app for UT with 4G.
If I try the manual connection with the local address and wifi it works.
I hope I didn’t make a mistake with the router, I guess the provider is not filtering non-standard ports?
Thank you for your help.

nymea is sophisticated and simple to use, nymea:app for UT works very well. Very nice work!

2 Likes

For normal use is it necessary to prevent UT from suspending nymea:app?

If it works within the local network, then it does indeed sound like a confirmation issue on the router.

Also, some ISPs route connections through a NAT proxy in which case you can’t open ports. Not sure if this is the case for you. Not very likely, but could be.

No, there shouldn’t be a need for that.

@mfoucrier just to ensure, you have read that, from @mzanetti initial reply:

That said, unless you refuse to use any 3rd party cloud, there’s also the option to use nymea:cloud for this. Enable the cloud connection for your nymea instance in the system settings, and create an account for the app in the app settings. Then you should be able to connect remotely without having to open any ports in your router at all.

This will definitely solve your problem. (it is free to use and no data is stored). :slight_smile:

Yes, yes, thank you for your answer, I understand that nymea:cloud is a very good solution since most people do not have a fixed IP or even a full stack. But I would like to understand why it doesn’t work for me!

1 Like

Do other things work from your network if you forward the ports on your router?

Yes, SSH and HTTPS ports to another server in the same network.
I haven’t found how to determine if it’s the router or my settings that are wrong.

One test you could do is to see if you’re able to set up ssh to your nymea instance.

Good idea! Yes, it works well. Thanks for your time.

Really weird the connection wouldn’t work then.

Please post a screenshot of the API interfaces configuration, your router port forwarding configuration and the manual settings you use in nymea app.

Here are the screenshots, I don’t think I did anything wrong?

Yes, it does look correct… Not sure what’s going on ATM. Perhaps enabling app logs and checking them could help. I’ll need to try myself to be of any help here. Odd thing is that I have an ipv6 only internet connection so it’s not straight forward to set this up here. I’ll need a 4to6 proxy somehow…

Please enable app logs, reproduce it and send me the logs somehow (pm, email, telegram, whatever), maybe I can trace it down from there.