BerryLan installation error on RASPBIAN IMAGE

I am trying to install BerryLan on my Raspbian Image and I am following this method.

HOW CAN I USE BERRYLAN ON MY ALREADY EXISTING RASPBIAN IMAGE?

After applying the third command:

sudo apt-get install nymea-networkmanager dirmngr

it continued to download and installing and after a while, it stopped. And then maybe after 15 to 20 min later my ssh (putty) got disconnected. I tried multiple times with multiple images (full and lite) all the time the same result. Here is the end log section of my last attempt. Am I doing something wrong?

Setting up glib-networking-services (2.58.0-2+deb10u2) ...

Setting up libice6:armhf (2:1.0.9-2) ...

Setting up libxdamage1:armhf (1:1.1.4-3+b3) ...

Setting up fontconfig-config (2.13.1-2) ...

Setting up libxtst6:armhf (2:1.2.3-1) ...

Setting up libxcursor1:armhf (1:1.1.15-2) ...

Setting up dconf-service (0.30.1-2) ...

Setting up network-manager (1.14.6-2+deb10u1) ...

Created symlink /etc/systemd/system/dbus-org.freedesktop.nm-dispatcher.service → /lib/systemd/system/NetworkManager-dispatcher.service.

Created symlink /etc/systemd/system/network-online.target.wants/NetworkManager-wait-online.service → /lib/systemd/system/NetworkManager-wait-online.service.

Created symlink /etc/systemd/system/multi-user.target.wants/NetworkManager.service → /lib/systemd/system/NetworkManager.service.

Setting up libmbim-proxy (1.18.0-1) ...

Setting up libjson-glib-1.0-0:armhf (1.4.4-2) ...

Setting up libatk-bridge2.0-0:armhf (2.30.0-5) ...

Setting up libthai0:armhf (0.1.28-2) ...

Setting up libgdk-pixbuf2.0-0:armhf (2.38.1+dfsg-1) ...

Setting up libxkbcommon-x11-0:armhf (0.8.2-1) ...

Setting up libqt5core5a:armhf (5.12.5+dfsg-2+rpi1) ...

I think you’re not doing anything wrong… If the system locks up during installation there must be a different issue. My bet would be the power supply is too weak.

1 Like

Thank you. So far I have been powering it with my computer’s USB connection. I’ll try to use a power bank and give it one more try.

I’m not sure if a power bank will be good enough either… I’d recommend using the most powerful smartphone charger you have around for testing. If that fixes the issue, my recommendation would be to get an official raspberry pi power supply.

It did not solve the issue. I experimented with a few other metods. In the end, the problem was the WiFi SSH terminal. My guess is that at a certain point of the installation the WiFi SSH is disabled. but if I run everything from the PI terminal directly, everything gets installed perfectly.

I did not try one method. After the WiFi SSH gets disconnected, if I reboot the Pi, the Bluetooth icon starts blinking Blue and Green, At that time I should have waited for the BerryLan app to get connected at least for 3 minutes and 30 seconds. Because so far I have tested 8 times and in each case, the BerryLan App takes 1 minute to 3.45 minutes to detect the Bluetooth connection of the PI. Does anyone know why it takes that much time to detect the connection? Also, If remove the display connection and then turn ON the PI and also start to use BerryLan then the app discovers the PI within 20 seconds or so. Is there any particular reason, why it takes so much time to detect the PI Bluetooth with an HDMI display connected to it, and why it takes so little time without the display?

I have few more questions regarding BerryLan but I’ll open a different topic for that.

I would assume that the rpi detects whether there’s a display attached and boots into a different runlevel where the whole graphical UI is loaded which delays the starting of nymea-networkmanager.

1 Like